The following forming techniques are taught:
- pinching -hand
- coiling - hand & extruder
- slab - hand & roller
- texture - impressions and direct methods
- molds - dry clay, pottery plaster slump and hump
- wheel throwing
- combination of techniques
- unfired clay/adobe
Painted clay and straw environment by folk artist Leonard Knight. This massive painted adobe environment is located near the Salton Sea in southern California.
- sigillata- making and burnishing practice- pit firing
- low temperature electric kiln, cone 04 glazes
- stencils and slip with clear
- slip and carving - sgraffito
n : a ceramic or mural decoration made by scratching off a surface layer to reveal the ground.
- wax resist and slip/glaze
- underglaze/ glaze
- Learn about clay composition
- Look for clay deposits
- Experiment with found clays and manufactured clays
- Analyze texture and shrinkage rate, report.
- Make sigillata, observe process of separating clay particles.
- Make slip, observe differences in properties.
History of Ceramics